Training in Greek chants, modes and modalities in the urban and rural music of Greece and Asia Minor. Will be reviewed during this master-class:
- Improvisation techniques specific to the urban and rural music of Asia Minor
- Learning of songs
- Work on ornamentation
- Historical and socio-cultural context of the style
- Work on vocal techniques: relaxation, breathing and breath management, vocal warm-up, voice placement
- Learning of Greek songs (Epirus, Macedonia, Thrace and Asia Minor): unison or polyphonic chants, work on drone
- Work on interpretation, ornamentation, rhythms and improvisation techniques
- Work on rhythms for chants and dances: listening to the rhythm through the body, ear, speech
TERMS OF PARTICIPATION
- Good singing and instrument practice (no theoretical knowledge required)
- Open to amateurs and professionals
>> REGISTRATION FORM <<
>> RATES & REGISTRATION PROCESS <<
Polymorphic singer and multi-instrumentalist, composer and author, Maria Simoglou has more than 20 years of presence in the international music and theater scene.
Born in Thessaloniki, studying in Berlin and living in Marseille for the last 10 years, she is fortunate to benefit from a double musical culture, so academic as well as traditional, thanks to the family cradle full of traditional music from Macedonia, Thrace and Asia Minor and thanks to the studies she followed, first at the musical College and Lycée of Thessaloniki (ud, qanun, percussion), then at the National State Conservatory of Thessaloniki (oboe, piano) and finally at the Berlin musical academy “Hanns Eisler Musikhochschule” in the singing / music-theater branch with professors Marion Lukowsky and Pr. Magdalena Hajossyova.
She participated in singing workshops, among others, with Pr. Barbara Shlich, Pr. Norma Sharp, Thomas Quasthoff, René Jacobs, Spyros Sakkas, etc.
Very early she collaborated with many groups and orchestras in Greece and abroad in the field of traditional, classical and contemporary music. She is regularly invited to concerts, festivals and participates in musical seminars, especially for cinema, dance and theater music. She regularly intervenes on radio and television in Greece, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Spain, England, France, United States, Australia etc.
She participates and collaborates in numerous concerts and recordings alongside singers and musicians of international renown (Harris Lambrakis, Paolo Pandolfo, Rhani Krija, Sokratis Sinopoulos, Claudio Bohorquez, Olivier Ker Ourio, Ross Daly, Spyros Sakkas, Stelios Petrakis, Efren Lopez , Andre Minvielle, Giorgos Xylouris, Sokratis Malamas, Bijan Chemirani, Patrick Vaillant, Kevin Seddiki etc.)
Since 2011, she has been working with the theater company “Mises en Scène” with which she takes part in two different shows: “Bon Appétit” and “La parabole des papillons” (directed by Michèle Addala / dramaturgy with Gilles Robic).
She has been living in France, in Marseille, since 2008, where she directs and integrates different ensembles. She collaborates as a singer, musician or actress in traditional and contemporary music, dance and theater shows.
Since 2008 she regularly gives Master-Classes (DROM, IIMM, FAMDT) and teaches in particular vocal and body technique as well as the repertoire, interpretation, ornamentation, rhythms and improvisation techniques, specific to the vocal, universal technique, Greek songs and songs from Asia Minor.
• “Kymata” – Kevin Seddiki, Maria Simoglou, Iacob Maciuca – Label: Buda Musique, 2018
• “Red” – Savvas Pavlidis – Production: Savvas Pavlidis, 2018
• “Minóre Manés” – Maria Simoglou Ensemble – Label: Buda Musique, 2015
• “Panselinos” – Kompania Massalias – Production: Panselinos / Hiphaistia – 2013
• “Il santiero”, Kevin Seddiki, Label: Wildner Records, 2012
• “Tâle Yâd”, OnEira 6tet, Label: Helico, 2012
• “Si la Mar”, OnEira 6tet, Label: Helico, 2010
• “Orion”, Stelios Petrakis, Label: Seistron, 2008
• “Kara Deniz- Two Steps”, Savvas Pavlidis, Label: DMG Germany, 2007
• “Tis nychtas ta makria mallia”, Maria Thoidou, Sokratis Malamas, Label: Lyra, 2004
• “Kismet”, Stelios Petrakis, Bijan Chemirani, Label: Buda Musique, 2004
• ”Enas emfilios – To periodiko, Vol. 2 “, Dimosioypaliliko withdraws, Label: Alli Poli, 2003 • “Lieder und Tänze des Mittelmeerraumes” – Tropos Quartett Berlin -Thessaloniki – Production: Tropos Quartett, 2003