In addition to being the mandolinist of Antonio Nobrega and Spok Frevo, Marco César is the head of the string department of the Recife Conservatory. His unique method of training in popular music is known throughout Brazil and the greatest have passed through his hands, such as Hamilton de Holanda, Armandinho… We propose to study some of the rhythms most played by the groups of Pernambuco, such as choro, maxixe, forro, frevo, maracatu.
- Introduction to popular Brazilian music from the Nordeste and its rhythms (choro, baião, xote, frevo) through collective practice, body percussion and practice with various instruments.
- The transmission of the rhythms will be done first through group practice: oral and corporal polyrhythms, then on percussion instruments, before being “retranscribed” and worked on harmonic melodic instruments.
- Practice of solo and polyphonic singing, work on the repertoire
- Oral transmission of a representative repertoire of genres and rhythms.
TERMS OF PARTICIPATION
- To be able to participate on guitar or piano: to be able to link major, minor, seventh, augmented and diminished chords with ease.
- To be able to participate as a soloist: be autonomous on a whole melody.
- Reading chord charts or scores is not mandatory.
- Open to singers and acoustic instruments (except drums)
>> ON-LINE REGISTRATION <<
>> RATES & REGISTRATION PROCESS <<
Marco César from Oliveira Brito (July 30, 1960) is a Brazilian composer, arranger, and instrumentalist. He is one of the great names in Brazilian popular music, choro. He is considered one of the best soloists and mandolinists in the country. He is also the founder of the first mandolin and “cavaquinho” (small guitar) course in Brazilian music conservatories.
He is the founder, artistic director, and musician of the “Orquestra de Cordas Dedilhadas de Pernambuco” and is also a founding member, arranger and musician of the group “Oficina de Cordas de Recife”. Marco César has performed all over the country, but also internationally with Antônio Nóbrega and as a soloist of the Recife Symphony Orchestra. In 1999, he participated in the show “Pernambuco” at the Avignon Festival. He performed at the XVII Festival Del Caribe (Fiesta Del Fogo) in Santiago de Cuba.
In 2000, he was elected member of the “Academia Pernambucana de Música”. He has written arrangements for the “Jazz Sinfônica de São Paulo”, “Sinfônica do Recife” and “Petrobrás Sinfônica” orchestras. He is director and arranger of the “Orquestra Retratos do Nordeste”, “Coral Edgard Moraes”, “Sexteto Capibaribe”, “Chorando”. With Lucas dos Prazeres and Pepê, Marco César forms the “Trio”, a reference group of traditional music from the state of Pernambuco.
Marco César is currently also supervisor of the plucked strings sector and teacher at the Conservatório Pernambucano in Recife and at the Centro Federal de Educação Tecnológica de Pernambuco. He also teaches at the State University of Pernambuco (UPE). He is a national reference in the teaching of string instruments (mandolin, cavaquinho, viola and 6 and 7 string guitars).